Making Choices of Medicare

Jolie

When deciding which plan to choose, you have a lot to consider.

UHG_Hispanic_Pharmacist_031066_Making_Choices%20copy.ashx

Your plans for the future, lifestyle, medical history—even the doctors you see—are things to think about before making a decision about your health care.

To learn what plans and policies are available in your area, you can visit medicare.gov or contact your State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP).

What’s important to you?

While you’re doing your research, you’ll want to think about what’s important to you. Here are some questions to consider:

• Are you in good health generally or do you have chronic conditions?
  • Which prescription drugs do you take regularly? How much do you spend?
  • What doctors do you see regularly and for what kind of care? How would you feel about seeing a new doctor?
  • How much do you travel and where?
  • Are you eligible for any health care coverage besides Medicare? Will you want to keep that coverage when you retire?
  • How much did you spend on care last year? Do you expect similar costs this year?
  • How does health care fit into your budget? Will you need financial help to pay for Medicare premiums?

Look for a plan that’s the right fit for you.

There’s no “one size fits all.” You have a lot of choices:

• Do I want only Original Medicare (Part A and Part B)?
  • How about Original Medicare with (or without) a standalone Medicare Prescription Drug plan (Part D) or a Medicare Advantage plan (Part C)?
  • If I get a Medicare Advantage plan (Part C), do I want it with or without prescription drugs?

Enroll as soon as you become eligible.

If you wait, you could end up paying more in premiums.

If you need it, you can get extra help.

There is extra financial help available for those with lower incomes.

Back