Perfume review: Acca Kappa Calycanthus

Jolie

Acca Kappa is an Italian line that was established in 1869. I believe they are best known for their brushes and other grooming products. In 1999 they opened their first US store in the Venetian hotel in Las Vegas. Today I am trying Calycanthus, which Acca Kappa describes as a “fresh, floral scent created with the unique essence of the Calycanthus flower blended with notes of Jasmin, Orange blossom honey and Musk.”

View attachment 8746

Calycanthus starts out sweet and sharp. I am guessing there is some honeysuckle in the top notes, and possibly a touch of citrus. The dry down is a lovely spring-like floral, with subtle green undertones. It has a beautifully spicy kick that I assume comes from the calycanthus — there are several varieties of this shrub, which are variously known as sweetbush, western spicebush, and Carolina allspice.

It has a sparkling quality, and manages to capture the aroma of honey without being overly sweet. I wish I had something else to compare this to, but the only other calycanthus scent I have tried is Santa Maria Novella’s Calicantus. The Santa Maria Novella version is quite different, with notes of citrus, amber, and vanilla. If memory serves (and to be honest, mine rarely does), Calicantus is a sweeter, spicier perfume, with less of a floral character.

Calycanthus is an Eau de Toilette, and has good lasting power. It is very reasonably priced at $45 for 100 ml. For buying information, see the listing for Acca Kappa under Perfume Houses.

Please comment if you have tried anything from this line! I am going to be in Las Vegas next month, and I will definitely be adding a bottle of this to my collection and checking out the other fragrances.

NST

Attachments

• akcaly2.jpg
    akcaly2.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 0
Back